The Christian Church in Nebraska is one of 32 geographic areas of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The primary focus of a Regional Church is to look after the congregations in its geographic area. Our congregations come together as a Regional Church to fulfill the mission of Christ by taking the lead in developing new forms of ministry in mission, witness and service. Regions also are nurturing agents that provide support, guidance and pastoral care to ministers and congregations. Additionally, Regions provide for standing and credentialing of ministers, and support for relocation of pastors, and filling vacant ministerial positions.
“As members of the Christian Church, we confess that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and proclaim him Lord and Savior of the world. In Christ’s name and by his grace, we accept our mission of witness and service to all people.
We rejoice in God, maker of heaven and earth, and in the covenant of love which binds us to God and one another. Through baptism into Christ, we enter into newness of life and are made one with the whole people of God. In the communion of the Holy Spirit we are joined together in discipleship and in obedience to Christ.
Within the universal church we receive the gift of ministry and the light of scripture. In the bonds of Christian faith we yield ourselves to God that we may serve the One whose kingdom has no end.
Blessing, glory and honor be to God forever, Amen.”
*Preamble to The Design for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
The mission of the Christian Church in Nebraska is to “involve individuals and congregations in God’s mission in the world.”
The Regional Church in Nebraska strives to live out its calling and mission by:
- Facilitating visioning and planning
- Offering pastoral care, support and coaching
- Assist with conflict resolution
- Providing events and workshops to train congregational leaders
- Resourcing congregations in stewardship, evangelism and Christian Education
- Helping congregations network with one another
- Walking with congregations through the process of calling a new minister
- Preparing, Ordaining, Commissioning, Licensing and maintaining the standing of ministers
- Encouraging and/or providing financial support for pastors to attend support groups, retreats and educational events
Growing Faithful Disciples
- Offering camps and conference for children, youth and young adults
- Supporting youth ministries
- Supporting ministries for women and men
- Supporting developing Ethnic ministries
Reaching Out to Others
- Establishing new churches
- Working to eradicate racism
- Sharing in God’s mission through projects and work trips
- Peace and Justice Ministries
- Ecumenical dialogue and collaboration